Friday, December 2, 2011

Hassle-Free Crabs!



Crabs have always been on top of my crustacean list. And any restaurant or "karinderya" that I go to that would serve any kind of crab dish would automatically get immunity from my picky palate. I don't really mind eating with my hands so long as I enjoy its succulent meat and sweet flavor (for as long as it's fresh, ok?)

http://ilonggolivingincanada.com/?tag=boston-blue-crabs
With all these that the crab can offer, it comes with its own hurdles. One may need a nutcracker to open its claws and lots of soft soap to wash away the aroma it leaves the hands after eating it. Personally I don't mind, but after our fisher folks discovered that the price of meat alone can give them better income, here in Bacolod, crab meat has been sufficiently supplied in groceries at reasonable prices the last time I bought it was about P200 per kilo as it also depends whether they are in season or not.

With the convenience of the crab meat restaurants and canteens now make it as one of their bestselling viands and for instance at the pantry where I work, one serving plus one cup of rice is only P40, what more could I ask for.

Fun Facts
     
     * The teeth of the crab are in their tummies, talk about speedy digestion!

     * After losing its claw, a crab can grow it back no surgery required.

     * Crabs actually has ten legs, which I lose count especially when they effortlessly fall off right after cooking.

     * Crabs tend to be aggressive towards each other and males often fight to gain access to females. (I never thought crabs could be passionate too. Although I heard rumors that they have aphrodisiac enzymes.)

     * Every year, 1.5 million tons of crabs are eaten over the world by humans (poor crabs...)



Sources: 

No comments:

Post a Comment